Monday, March 13, 2006

This is sport!

Astounding. Great. In my last post, I said that these words dwarf in meaning when used to describe SA's win over Australia at the Wanderers yesterday.

Then - what would have crossed the minds of headline writers throughout the country?

I was really cross when I picked up IE this morning. The front page had a photo-caption giving the news of the amazing win. And, the sports page had - would you believe it - news that Australia had reached a record score! And, I remember it was about 9.30 when the match ended last night. Surely, IE could have done better than that.

TH was a lot better. The headline was okay; it could have been a lot better, considering the fact that many experts billed this as the greatest match ever played.

But the best headline in my opinion was a Malayalam one. The sports page in today's Malayala Manorama screamed - "Ithaanu kali!" (This is sport/cricket)

That aptly summed up, in two words, the real essense of the SA-Aus match yesterday. 434 in 50 overs, and that chased! Now, that's what I call sport.

3 Comments:

Blogger Attribution said...

Hmm. Manorama affinity?

Dont make me regret it so much.

I say aloud " One day there will another great game I shall watch it."


Missed it...

7:25 AM PST  
Blogger Rim said...

Attribution:
You missed history. What you say aloud makes me smile ... you DONT know that's its a great match unless you watch it fully. So, you gotto start watching all cricket matches from now on. Nobody can predict a great game. Athan Kali! lol:D

7:37 AM PST  
Blogger Attribution said...

I know.
but i was trying to pacify myself.
And u seem to be hell bent on asserting that I missed it.
Dont rub salt to injuries
:(

7:58 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home