Thursday, March 02, 2006

Nothing really 'strik'ing

As I walk out for my evening coffee, the guy in the corner shop nods his head and says that he isn't working today.

Thus I start my walk down the lane to the main bus stand. Two guys walk near me, speaking in Tamil. Predictably, soon enough, we were in a conversation. Loved the part when they described this place as a "toongu moonji" place.

It's "toongu moonji" day today. A hartal (or bandh, or strike, or whatever you want to call it) has been called by an outfit here and thus life has come to a standstill.

People here are sure nice - but they're damn lazy. As the passerby (actually, two of them) told me, "It's never like this back in our place. There's always something happening on all days. Here, it's like if the people get a chance to take a day off, all they do is sit at home. Only God knows how they manage to pass their time at home."

"Strike" is too strong a word. Nothing striking happens on those days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home