Sunday, October 02, 2005

The pride that Tamilians have

8.45 PM, Saturday, Oct 1: Three hundred people stood in queue, brushing against each other. A cop wielded a big lathi and ensured that nobody broke the line. All this in Anaswara theatre, Kottayam. Where Tamil hero Surya's "Ghazini" has released. At 9.00 sharp, I was the 17th person standing in the queue when the "Housefull" board came up and sadly, I started my walk back.

11.02 AM, Sunday, Oct 2: My eyes slowly fluttered. Though still asleep, I could faintly hear the strains of "Anjali Anjali..."(Duet). Was it a dream, I asked myself? Am I in my hostel room in Kerala or in my room in Chennai?

It was very much God's Own Country. But, we, as Tamils have a pride here that is unmatched. Just think, if 300 people(mostly Malayalis) are willing to stand in queue to watch a Tamil movie on a Saturday night, there should surely be "something" in us.

I was dumbfounded, I was surprised. But hell, I was proud - real proud - to be a Tamilian.

In a miserable part of Kerala which has three lousy roads, why should SO many people jostle and fight and get beaten up - all this - just to watch a Tamil movie? Would anyone of us do it to watch a Malayalam movie in Chennai? I doubt it.

It was all very easy to sit in Chennai and criticise the "commercial" Tamil movies. But sitting alone here in Kerala, you realise the "bonding" that it gives us.

There's nothing better than watching a Tamil movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home